Halifax Heritage Byway
Byway Length: 35 miles
Designated: October 5, 2020
FDOT District: 5
The story of the Halifax River region of Volusia County is a story of freedom, growth, vision and challenge for the pioneers who came to this area in search of opportunity. The byway’s tagline: An American Tapestry is fitting because the segments of roadway that compose this byway can be described as the threads that tie this diverse community together. These road segments embrace the people, places, stories and events that make up the long history of this region.
While the Halifax Heritage Byway is centered in Daytona Beach, it also passes through Ormond Beach, Holly Hill, Daytona Beach Shores, Ponce Inlet, and Wilbur-by-the-Sea. The byway’s story focuses on the nearly 300 years of history and heritage. Composed of three distinct but complimentary stories, this 35-mile corridor carries the visitor through areas that once were home to some of central Florida’s earliest pioneer settlements, 1920s boom-time era development, and beachside communities known both for being the birthplace of speed and a vacation mecca offering broad beaches of hard packed sand and crystal-clear ocean experiences.
Byway Map: Downloadable PDF Map
Share This Page:
Halifax Heritage Byway Map
Byway Social Media: Halifax Heritage Byway | Facebook
While this byway passes through several communities, the byway is easily accessible from any direction:
- From the North: I-95 South to SR 40 (Exit 268). Head east to either Beach St or SR A1A and then south onto the byway.
- From the West: I-4 to I-95 North. Take I-95 N to Exit 261A (International Speedway Blvd) and then east to the byway.
- From the South: I-95 North to Exit 256 (SR 421-Dunlawton Ave) and then east to SR A1A to enter the byway.
- Halifax Historical Museum: Halifax Historical Museum
- Black History Trail: Florida Black Heritage Trail – Division of Historical Resources – Florida Department of State (myflorida.com)
- City of Daytona Beach: Daytona Beach, FL – Official Website | Official Website (codb.us)
- Daytona Beach Chamber of Commerce: Daytona Beach – Daytona Chamber
- Daytona Beach Area Convention & Visitors Bureau: Daytona Beach Things to Do, Hotels, Restaurants & Events